Just look at that...only two posts to my name in December? I'm feeling PRETTY disappointed that I haven't kept myself more on the ball with recording our lives and whatnot. I'll try to be better for the rest of the month...
Well, Christmas approaches and I find myself getting more excited for it than I have in years. It won't be our biggest Christmas or the most elaborate but Joel and I are completely feeding off of Sarah's excitement for the big day. Today as we ventured around Walmart shopping for some goodies for my Visiting Teaching friends we were discussing what Jesus would want for his birthday. Sarah and I decided that a picture of us choosing the right and a new Curious George book would be exactly what Jesus would want. Sarah is proving to one of my best friends these days. She's helpful, concerned, loving, a good listener, and a fantastic cheerer-upper. If I get hurt she rushes over to give a smooch and make it better, she always asks if I'm happy, and offers to share her french fries because she KNOWS that Mommy loves french fries. She's very much hoping that Santa Clause brings her a bicycle and helmet this year so we keep hoping that Santa is listening and grants her wish.
Allison has been battling a really bad cold for several days now but has been the ultimate trooper. She still tries to put a smile on, especially for Dad. I think the smile just bursts out of her when her Daddy is around, he's the light in her life. Allison cruises around with her army crawl like it's nobodies business. She especially loves the hardwood floor, I repeatedly move her back to the carpet but she always ends up on the cold, hard ground searching out some forgotten toy or large piece of dirt. Her favorite thing to do is squawk. It's ear piercing and soul-rattling and it drives me CRAZY. But I love her for it because it's really her way of communicating. She squawks when she's happy, sad, lonely, entertained, content, grumpy, angry, tired...you name it. It's actually been kind of nice with her froggy-sick voice because her squawks aren't nearly as loud and shrill.
Sarah and Allison are like two peas in a pod. Sarah loves her and plays with her. One night Joel and I were a bit stressed. I was making dinner, he was building a fire and Allison was sitting in her car seat waiting to be fed (she likes the car seat better than her high chair so we're going with it for now). Sarah came over and told Allison, "Don't worry, I'm here Allison, I'll feed you. Mom and Dad are busy." So she sat and fed Allison for a while until one of us was free. Joel looked at me and said, "Now THAT is why we had two children." It's true. Their bond and friendship is developing already. They play so nice. Sarah will let Allison crawl around her room and Sarah will follow her and take her toys away and replace them with Allison-appropriate toys. Sometimes I hear Sarah happily call out to me from her room, "Mooom!!! I'm not getting frustrated!!!" They are fantastic.
Joel is glad to be working hard at his job. Winter is a busy time and I think he really loves the fast pace of things as business picks up. We're grateful everyday for his employment in the face of so much turmoil going on in the world. Joel and I have been so blessed with the opportunities provided to us over the past few years.
This Christmas I'm focusing more than ever on the true meaning of Christmas. I pray that each of us can reflect on the ultimate sacrifice that our Savior, Jesus Christ, made for us and the example he was to us all.
2 comments:
Your post brings such tears to my eyes. I miss being able to come up and see you guys all the time and see how big the girls are getting and how well Joel is with them both ;-). I also just marvel in your positivity. I wish I had that some days.
Miss you guys so much!
How fun is that!? What cute girls. I am trying to decide on what Allison's Christmas stocking should look like. I was trying to remember who had what, so it would coordinate, but when I try to remember how many of these I've done I lose count, guess I'll just have to hope for the best. I can't wait to see you all again.
Post a Comment