When Joel and I were dating one of our favorite movies to watch was Bruce Almighty with Jim Carrey. Not only do I LOVE Jim Carrey (You either love him or you hate him), but his movie really struck me as powerful during a particularly sensitive time in my life. When Evan Almighty came out we watched that too and were impressed that the general idea of the original movie stayed true. There's one particular scene in Evan Almighty that always makes me (cry) think.
It's a scene where God (Morgan Freeman) is talking about how He works in our lives. He's talking to Evan's wife who has just left her home and husband because she thinks he's crazy to build this huge ark. God says to her:
"Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience, or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"
Truer words are rarely spoken. Funny to hear it come from a Hollywood blockbuster in this day and age.
I feel like as a family we're experiencing these blessings from our Father in Heaven right now. What seems slightly challenging to us right now I'm envisioning as being spiritual growth and necessary for the future. I'm thankful that our Father in Heaven knows our trials, gives us tools to endure, and encouragement to stay strong in our faith.
1 comment:
all your posts are so good, I am feeling inspired reading them... thanks for your insight and wisdom. I love you. :)
Post a Comment