Saturday, January 2, 2010

Primary and the Simple Truths

I just finished up the major steps for my Primary Sharing Time lesson tomorrow and have only a few little things to finish up tomorrow morning when I can print without waking up Allison. As I'm reflecting back on the lesson I'm realizing we could all use a little simplification of the gospel once in a while to keep grounded. Sometimes we just need to remember the basics. Here's a few of my questions for the junior primary kids:
  • How can we be happy?
  • Does Heavenly Father wants us to be happy?
  • "I am a child of ____" (God)
  • What is a commandment?
  • Why is it important to keep the commandments?
  • Who listens to our prayers?
  • What kinds of things do you pray about?
  • Why do we need to read the scriptures?
  • Who created this beautiful world for us to live in?
  • When should we pray to our Father in Heaven?

Gosh, if I could sit down and focus on the answers to these questions when I'm feeling overwhelmed or frustrated or angry, I think it could do me a world of good. Maybe we should all write down some simple questions like these and keep them in our purse or wallet so that we can take them out and remember those basic questions and even more importantly the answers to them, when life gets a little rough.

It all comes down to the simple truths that keep us going through difficult times where the big picture is just too overwhelming to think about.

4 comments:

mamaseversike said...

You and the prophets are thinkin' alike! :) Hence the 'back to basics' manual for everyone to study. The day to day really does gets very overwhelming at times,it can be hard to see the big picture when you're tangled in the minutia. Thanks for a great reminder.

Zach said...

Amen Sista!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jenna...sometimes I need a back to basics so this will help me!

Debbie said...

Sometimes I can answer these questions with conviction, and other times it seems that I don't know (or believe) any of the answers. I guess I need to consider these questions and the truth of their answers much more often; I know that would help me, Zach, Callie, and others I come in contact with. Thanks for the reminders.

My word is blegu - isn't that a sound people make when we sneeze?