Anyone who knows me will agree when I say that I might be slightly cheap, a penny-pincher, frugal. 99% of the time this benefits our family since I'm the one the maintains the budget and pays the bills. But the other 1% of the time it bites me in the butt. I can be too controlling and too cheap and too concerned about finances, imagine that! Joel managed to pull a few extra hours at work and we had a few extra dollars in the bank last week. I talked to him on his lunch break and asked what he wanted for dinner. He replied by asking if he could take us all out to dinner. I was thrilled! We haven't really been out and about as a family in a while. We don't really go to dinner the two of us at all either. So a whole family endeavor was such a treat! We ended up going to one of the nicer restaurants in the area (in this area that means a notch slightly above Red Robin). Sarah was so well-behaved, Allison slept the whole time, and Joel and I enjoyed some quality conversation. After dinner we walked the mall for a few hours burning off dinner calories and looking for some new tennies for Joel.
Since we went out that night I feel rejuvenated and encouraged despite the sleepless nights and seemingly dwindling personal time. We used a coupon for dinner so I didn't feel too terrible about spending the money and we get rewards every time we dine there. I've really underestimated the value of going out and enjoying a night away from the norm. We made a commitment to try and get out at least once a month together as a family, away from home, and enjoy what our community has to offer.
5 comments:
Man, you sure fit in this family! I used to feel bad about my piles of Ensigns; such nice magazines, I couldn't bear to throw them away! I remember coming to the realization that it's alright to have something that just brings you emotional pleasure or uplift. It doesn't have to have any other purpose but to give you a boost. When I accepted that I opened the door to invite lots of happiness in and kick guilt OUT! Enjoy your family home evenings out! :)
That sounds like so much fun Jenna. Good for you guys!
I'm happy to see you enjoying family dinner out together, you don't give yourself nearly enough credit as a mom. you're great. good work on penny pinching. :)
Sounds like an amazing time. Chris and I try to remember that once in a while too! I am glad you all were able to do that!
I love to penny pinch as well, but sometimes I have to remind myself to splurge a bit. It's important to go out and celebrate the great job you have done saving for your family. I like it even better that you had a coupon for dinner :) Way to go Cousin Jenna!
Post a Comment