Monday, May 3, 2010

Kickin' it old school

This weekend Joel surprised me by suggesting we take a trip up to Bellingham and visit some old stomping grounds for a family day-trip. He was really going out on a limb because anytime we go there I am always pointing out this landmark or that apartment or that store as the setting of some random memory that means nothing to him. I know he cringes inside as I go on about the minute details of the event but I can't help myself. I spent 4 1/2 years in Bellingham so many memories come flooding back when we visit. Fortunately, a good bit of the best memories are of us together during our 'courtship' phase when we first met and started dating (insert lovey-dovey 'awww's' here.)




We started by going to the doctor in Edmonds for an iron-count poke for Allison, then we headed to Alderwood Mall to meet up with Squirrelpants for a dress exchange and quick lunch. Around 12:30 or so we started out for the 'Ham. Winds were on full force as Joel worked to keep the Jeep in his lane on the highway. The drive was uneventful and full of sunshine most of the way. As soon as we hit Mount Vernon the clouds began to gather and rain/snow/hail started to fall. Bellingham was a mix of overcast skies and rain showers all day.

We played at the mall for an hour or so letting Sarah get her energies out at the indoor playground. The mall also has a little train that takes you around the different wings of the place for a few dollars, Sarah loved it except she 'cried a little bit', she says, because she really wanted me to be on it with her and Joel. Maybe next time my big girl.
After the mall we drove around a bit, ending up at The Pita Pit. I used to live directly above the Pita Pit for my last quarter of college. At night the huge exhaust fans would buzz underneath my bed so much that it took me a few weeks to get used to it. Nevermind the noise at 2am as the bars closed and every drunk college kid in Bellingham would gather outside my apartment window for the best late-night eats around. I digress. (See, this is what Joel had to endure all day long. He's very good to me!) Pita Pit was delicious and even Sarah thoroughly enjoyed her kid sized pita (see picture).
We then stopped at Cruisin' Coffee for the traditional nonfat yogurt oreo milkshake, and after that we mosied over to LaFeen's Family Donut House for the best donuts in America. Yes, I am confident in that claim. LaFeen's is also the scene of the crime where I locked my keys in my car while skipping a college class (Squirrelpants and I were together and did get a jovial reprimand from our awesome professor.)

From there we headed home where we both endured the constant moaning and whining from the Allison. She hasn't been feeling well (fevers every night for 4 days but fairly normal during the afternoons!) and put up quite a fight before sleep after her exhausting day of adventure.
This last picture sums up the end of the afternoon - I was elated and beeming and Joel was ready to be done. He played along very nice and surprised me when I looked at this picture after it was taken - I had NO idea his finger was up his nose. Love that guy. :)

That's our family day in a nutshell. Sorry I've been so lax in posting. I need to be better since this is my poor excuse for a baby book! :)


3 comments:

mamaseversike said...

Ha! We could turn that into a universal gesture meaning, "I've 'bout had it, here" or something. I think that sounds like a good day. Hope Allison's body figures out what it wants. New tooth? Maybe she's fighting, and almost won, a battle with the germies. Praying for her to win soon!

Sarah said...

What fun - I want a donut after seeing that picture! What good memories, still working on dragging Derek up there so I can bore him with all the same stories. Glad you had such a fun day-trip and Sarah enjoyed her pita so much. It better not have had mustard on it!!! :)

Debbie said...

You know, Zach responds the same way when I get excited about something or somewhere that is significant to both of us, but I'm the only one who remembers the significance! In fact, we spent 2-3 hours singing and laughing next to each other on our friend's couch while we karaoke'd at a halloween party in 08, but does Zach remember that??? OF COURSE NOT! He says he was interested in someone else at the time - poor excuse! ;) That's ok, I'm ok with 2/14/09 being our first official date!