Thursday, April 30, 2009

For You Cousin Lissa!

My cousin Lissa asked if I was going to post my tzatziki sauce recipe so here it goes. Unfortunately I am not one to measure things so it will have to be an eyeball it and taste it type thing. :) Enjoy!

24 oz Greek Style Yogurt (Full Fat)*
Salt
1/2 English Cucumber, finely grated
1 Clove Garlic Minced
2-3 T Chopped Fresh Dill
2 T Sugar
2 T Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
1-2 t Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice


Place your finely grated cucumber on some paper towels, sprinkle liberally with salt and place in a sieve over a bowl. Let sit for at least an hour to let excess water drain out. Rinse gently under water to remove some salt. Wring out the cucumber with the paper towel after rinsing and draining.

Add yogurt, cucumber and remaining ingredients in bowl and mix. Taste and add salt or dill or cucumber if desired. Let sit for a few hours to let flavors meld together. I even added a touch of some Greek seasoning Joel's buddy gave us, but I can't remember the name of it! :)

*If you don't have Greek yogurt, just use regular plain full fat yogurt and strain through a paper towel and sieve for a few hours to remove excess liquids. The key to good tzatziki is a really thick and creamy yogurt base.

1 comment:

Cousin Lissa said...

Yummy! Thanks Cousin Jenna. I love this sauce, but have never had the guts to try to make it. I'll trust you on this one and maybe try the recipe soon! You should start cooking extras of your favorite dishes and freezing them for when the baby arrives. I stocked my freezer and lived off the food for a good 2 weeks. I actually made a bunch of meals for a girlfriend, who was due mid-may, but baby Madison arrived 2 weeks ago. I'll have to deliver the meals sometime soon before WE eat them!