I started on a new endeavor last week with the arrival of the nicer weather - I've taken on pulling every manageable weed from the lawn. Now, I'm not actually sure if it's worth the effort because I imagine there are about 100 sprays or granules on the market which will do this work for me, but I find it therapeutic and enjoyable. There is nothing like seeing the work of your own two hands make something that once was ugly, beautiful. So for five or six days of work I've managed to pull about 80-90% of the weeds in the lawn.
This may seem like trivial work to the untrained eyeball. If you haven't seen our lawn, or didn't see it before I started my journey, then you have NO idea what kind of task this was and is. And being nearly 36 weeks pregnant, I am not sad about my horn tooting. I've pulled at least 500 weeds I can safely say that. And probably more than that. And these weeds, they are monsters. The dandelions were no problem, they were only about 10% - but it's the prickly weeds that spread out about 9-12 inches that were the real uglies. Not only are they gross to look at, they are killer to step on with bare feet, just ask the wee one! But the feeling of pulling the weed up by the root, ah, it's heaven.
So I'm not actually sure how long the negative weed population will last, but it's beautiful right now. I'm planning on spreading some lawn seed to fill in the bare spots and dirt areas and then fertilize with an organic as possible weed food*. Maybe next year when the itty-bitty tyke will be toddling around he/she will be able to enjoy a full, thick pokey-free yard.
*As my esteemed colleague Zach so emphatically pointed out - I should probably feed my grass GRASS food instead of weed food. Thanks for the heads up Zach, without you I might have been feeding the enemy!! :P
3 comments:
Weed food??
I remember the 36 week mark in my pregnancy. It's where you feel at peace with everything you've done inside the house and start to worry about the outside, just like picking almost 500 weeds. I have a picture of my mowing the lawn at 38 weeks. Guess you can never be to prepared, right?
Love you Cousin Jenna!
Ah, Zach, give a girl a break! She means 'weed'n'feed'; feed a cold and starve a fever! Or is it the other way around, feed a fever and starve a weed, or feed a grass and starve a dandelion....
Post a Comment