Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Time is Fast Approaching

I should be finishing the last few items on my to-do list but I'm going to take a few minutes to update this here blog on the progress of growing the newest addition to the family. No, I'm not talking about the strawberries that JUST sprouted blossoms today, nor am I talking about the wasp nests growing under our eaves - I speak of the wee one bouncing around in mah bellay.

I went to my 36 week doctor check up today. All went as planned. I didn't look at my weight, and nothing was mentioned of it. So either my doctor has given up on telling me to quit eating my weight in bread products every day or I am not gaining AS MUCH as it feels like I am when I walk lead-footed up the stairs. My blood pressure was slightly elevated, but it will take more than a few points to worry my doctor and she was unconcerned. My hands are swelling like crazy and I mentioned that I felt like I could possibly lose my arm but I was assured it was no big deal. Yeah, but it still hurts. I layed on my side while Sarah ran wild in my room after my appointment and did notice a big difference in the swelling, so I'll have to make note of that.

The baby has dropped a bit and seems to have released pressure on my heartburn button. We had enchiladas for dinner last night at our friend's house and I didn't wake up with a burning feeling in my throat during the night, BONUS! The doctor informed me she'd prefer I not travel outside of an hours drive of the hospital - I inquired of the Olympia area and she crinkled her brow and said, mm, better play it safe and stay in the area. We've planned a tentative trip to Tenino on Friday so we'll see how I'm feeling by then.

I'm down to weekly trips to the doctor and that's such a relief that I will be back to my normal bodily self soon enough. Joel and I were looking at pictures of us from JUST before I got pregnant and both of us oogled them as if it were years ago. We're both excited for me to have my pre-pregnancy body back! He's probably excited to get to hug me without leaning over and caving his stomach out to make room for mine, and I'm mostly excited to be able to roll over with a helping hand.

So now it's time for me to get the nitty-gritty details I've been avoiding...buying the first pack of diapers, setting up the sheets in the crib, getting out the unisex baby clothes and picking up those needed new-mom items. I've decided to splurge on *buying* an outfit to bring the little one home in. Everything this kid's gonna have has been worn at least once before, so I figure it's first day alive it should get something all it's own.

So, at the end of this week (meaning by next Tuesday) I'll be considered full-term and I have the go-ahead from the doctor that labor and delivery is A-OK. It'd be nice to have the baby a few days early but not too early that Joel isn't able to enjoy his new son or daughter while on vacation. So we'll see what Heavenly Father and this little one have in store for us and when the birthday will happen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I'm so happy for you!

Lissa said...

Yippee! My girlfriend, who was due May 13th, had her baby this past Sunday. I have to think it's because she didn't have her hospital bag packed! Make sure yours is packed, and your little one will stay in the oven a bit longer.
Can't wait to hear about the new baby! You're making me have Baby Fever!!!!!!
-Cousin Lissa

mamaseversike said...

gosh, I just realized how behind the eight-ball I am. I should have sent you home with a girl blankie and a boy blankie to take to the hospital. Why did I think I still had time? The tradition is that baby gets to have it to come home from the hospital. Ill have to think on this dilemma.

Jennis said...

Well I am late at reading this so are there any babies being had while I was gone? does this mean you won't be at our sunday dinner? come on, if you travel further than your supposed to your almost garanteed to go into labor! And there's a good chance you'll still make it to the doctor in time to miss the "I had you in our car story." :)