Monday, June 30, 2008

What I've Come to Know

Yesterday in church we were challenged to strengthen our knowledge and faith through diligent reading of the Book of Mormon. I'm not normally a great scripture reader. I've read the Book of Mormon several times and have loved it from cover to cover, but I don't read it everyday, or even every week, like I should. The challenge was this: Anyone in our ward who is eight years or older or who will be turning eight this year will be given a new copy of the Book of Mormon and a set of crayons. There are six different colored crayons with which we will highlight passages of different topics. The topics are Faith, Repentence, Baptism, the Gifts of the Holy Ghost, the Atonement, and Enduring to the End. I was so excited. I was stoked that I would get a fresh crisp copy of the Book of Mormon AND crayons. It reminded me of studying in college and I know that my brain is definitely looking for something to do.

Yesterday Joel and I decided to keep the Sabbath day as holy as we could and that meant we were going to refrain from watching TV. So after a game of Blew-It (if you haven't heard of it, it's the best game ever) Joel went upstairs to rest and I got my shiny new Book of Mormon. It's been a year or so since I've sat down to read it with the intention of reading it like a story. When I read it I usually open up to my favorite stories. Last night, I was hooked. I read it with a constant video going through my mind of what was happening and what emotions were being described. It was beautiful.

I started reading at about 7:30pm and read until about 10:30pm. I got through the First Book of Nephi. It's awesome reading it now that my testimony is stronger and my knowledge of the stories is more clear. I am so grateful to have these scriptures. My life is ever changed with the truth of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

I can remember the first time I started reading the Book of Mormon. I had just finished my last quarter at Western and was working full-time at Petsmart. I sat in the parking lot of Starbuck's and leaned my chair back in my car, stuck my foot out the window, and read for what turned out to be hours. I still have the copy with my ball point pen underlines here and there. I remember trying to find ways to discredit what was written, trying to reason it in my head, but I couldn't deny the truth that I felt in my heart. I think it took me five days to read the entire thing. In the last few pages there is an entry that reads:

"Behold I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts. And when ys shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." (Moroni 10:3-5)
I read that and I took it to heart. I kneeled and prayed and received an answer.
I remember chatting with Joel a few weeks before and I was so overwhelmed with everything. I was sobbing hysterically and didn't know what to do. So I did all that I could think of, I prayed. I poured my heart out to God and he listened. I woke up the next morning knowing exactly what I needed to do and how to do it. I needed to change my life, and I did.
I am thankful everyday for the changes in my life that I've made. I know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church. I have a testimony of our Savior and his ultimate sacrifice on our behalf. I am thankful that Joseph Smith found the courage to kneel down in the sacred grove and ask for guidance. I am even more thankful that he had the strength and determination to accomplish all that he did in his life.
If you haven't read the Book of Mormon I would highly recomend it. Whether you are already a member of the church or if you are just looking for an awesome summer read you'll be on the right track with your choice. I love the stories but I especially love the message of being faithful and enduring so that we can all return to live with our Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

Jennis said...

I can always count on you to have posted once if not twice since I checked in last. I am always glad to see what you are doing.
I am finding that my gospel doctrine class is teaching me things about stories that I have never picked up on before, call it maturity I guess. the ability to pay attention to detail, that and a great teacher. I didn't realize the converts that Amulek taught were burned as part as their persecution, now that is a pretty big thing to miss as you are reading. I guess that means I need to get back to reading seeing as how I am missing some important learning opportunities. I need that boost that I know reading your scriptures brings. You will be my inspiration, thanks for your testimony... It is a beautiful feeling I get when I read it. Love and hugs.